Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Life for the Arts

A few day’s ago I came across an article in the Boston Globe that (in case you missed); I thought I’d highlight in this blog. It was a story about Stanley Drucker (now former) principal clarinetist of the New York Philharmonic (as of last month). I found it amazing that he’s been playing music for almost all of his 80 years, 60 of them with the N.Y. Philharmonic…48 as principal clarinet. During that time he played over 10 thousand concerts, as well, as almost 200 solo appearances and was fortunate to work under some of the worlds great conductors like the legendary Bruno Walter, a protégé of Gustav Mahler, who hired him in 1948, other’s included Leonard Bernstein, George Szell, Zubin Mehta and Kurt Masur. I’ve often wondered (being a musician myself)… if, when you “get on in your years”, would the desire still be there for music making as it is now? I suppose it’s a question only I can answer but a quote Mr. Drucker gave in the article was inspiring…he said ”See… if you can play, you never stop playing, it’s like a painter, they never stop painting if they can hold the brush”. Another quote he gave, went on to say “I have a full memory bank. It’s been my entire life since I was a teenager. It’s amazing-one never plans to spend 60 years in this kind of post, but it just happened, actually it feels like it happened very quickly. I remember vividly my 50th anniversary with the orchestra, and those last 10 years really flew”. Yes, the years really do seem to fly by don’t they, but for everyone who is, (or plans) to devote their life, to their art… “Hats Off”.


Till next time, thanks for listening:

Mark Calder

No comments:

Post a Comment